"I tried not to be, Mrs M."

Sara Crewe and I have always had that one thing in common, we both tried so hard not to be what everyone expected of us that we became these totally outlandish and largely spectaclesque creatures.

She, [for those raised in an igloo out on Pluot] was a young girl at the turn of the century, brought up in a foriegn country by her young and dashing father who lets face it, spoils her to extreme levels. She grows up to be eccentric and removed from other children at the ripe old age of 8. One can assume, and I most certainly do, that she would grow up to be an Emma type of person: interested in not only her business but all those dear to her. Not just because lets face it, we can manage other people's affairs so much better than they can [If only we were this talented at managing our own, there would be no flaws in our make up].
But because it who she is, and even though she has tried, she will always be who she is.

While Im most certainly not a Sara Crewe for the 21st century, I do however, hold opinions of myself like all others, and Ive found on reflection that I have tried so hard not to be. And if I was to be entirely honest, I do manage my friends' lives. They haven't quite realised it, and if they have, I doubt they've picked up on all the not-so-significant little aspects of their lives Ive managed to manipulate or twist so it is better. Better for who, you ask?

Well, lets say for all parties involved. *wink*

Back to the main course- I have tried so hard not to be what everyone didn't want me to be, but clearly I have failed spectacularly and enjoyed every breath of it. At the end of the day everyone carries preconcieved notions about others and atleast three-quarters of the time it is a feat equivalent to speaking whale to change these ideas.

What have I learned in all my twenty-two year old wisdom? Don't try. The only way person A is going to appreciate or understand person F is when person A has taken the time and patience required to decipher person F. Sounds like a freaky maths formula, but aren't our friends the ones we have known for a while, those who we understand to some degree, and love because of their faults? I know mine certainly are. I wouldn't love them if they weren't severely flawed.

What brought on this somewhat delayed epiphany? I noticed person H trying to impress person C with their brilliant beyond brilliant culinary skills. Un-uh. Person H manages to screw up boiling water. As they proved through their demonstration, laugh up the example, but we've all done it. And perhaps its time we stopped trying. Clearly doesn't do much but hide you and show off your idiocy.

My vote goes too..don't try not to be, just be whoever it is that you are, freaky bus person, weird swimming speedos boy, Buffyverse lover, flute player, psychotically monitoring her ex-boyfriends phone girl.. or whoever. Just be it and embrace the good with the hideously disfigured.

Today's muddle: How many screw ups will you take to be exactly who you are, and nothing less?

0 comments: